Home       About Me       About Us       Recipes       Contact

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Meal Planning

I am finally feeling back to my old self, no more throwing up and I have tons more energy. So, I figured it was time for the new stay at home mom to get to work with some meal planning! I've never really mastered this and usually end up just having the basics on hand to make simple dinners like stir fry, curries, and baked chicken and veggies. BORING. Well, Jesse likes it because that means it's usually Paleo diet friendly, but this pregnant lady is craving some good old carbs and comfort food these days.

So, I got to work this morning while Hunter slept in until 10am! I pulled out my "Joy of Cooking" cookbook and did some meal planning for the next week or so. Here is what I came up with:

Thursday: Chicken Enchiladas (even with homemade sauce, I'm kind of a snob about this, I don't like canned enchilada sauce)

Friday: Corned beef and cabbage with red potatoes (Gotta celebrate Jesse's Irish heritage, right?!)

Saturday: My oldest brother and his fiancé have informed us this week that they are having a spur of the moment wedding on Saturday evening! So, no cooking for me, but I did volunteer to make my yummy red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. (Want the recipe? It's over there on the recipes tab!)

Sunday: Beef Stew

Monday: Spaghetti Pie

Sometime during the week I also plan to make some chocolate chip cookies and some apple muffins to snack on. All these recipes I found in the Joy of Cooking cookbook (expect the cupcakes, I leave that to Martha).

You guys have any luck with meal planning? I'm hoping I stick with it, but I just don't know if I can keep up with it every week. Any tips for me? I'd love to hear them.

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. I meal plan every week on Sundays for Sunday thru Thursday. We don't have a plan for Fridays or Saturday's and we usually go out. We have homemade pizza on Sundays that my husband makes, so technically I only cook 4 times. It works well and we have our faves. If I use a recipe, I get it from my all recipes iPhone app. Keep at it and form a routine. It's great for your budget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU are so cute to organize your meals and put them on the calendar, I should take note! I end up going to the store a few times a week cause I always forget something. AND, yay for paleo meals, you should post your go-to recipes on here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love meal planning. I was actually just working on a post about how I do mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have found that meal planning is a MUST! If not, we end up eating junk. When I meal plan, I feel way more organized & feed my little family healthy, balanced meals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use a magnetic calendar. I have each of my typical dinners printed on a laminated square and backed with a sticky magnet. I also have some blank laminated ones that I can write on with dry-erase markers for "trial" dinners. And I have some generic ones like "Eat Out" and "Leftovers."

    That way, I can arrange it as a calendar, but easily move things around without a mess of scribbling things out. Here's a picture (not sure if you'll be able to see since we're not FB friends?) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=434789778044&set=a.74225983044.78456.507688044&type=3&theater

    I usually keep 4 weeks set up at a time, but really just plan one week at a time and rearrange until I'm happy with that week (noted with the arrow). Keeping the four weeks up just helps me keep the variety going. Also notice the little magnetic white dot I use to denote what day I'm on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ive gotten out of the habit of meal planning, and I SO need to get back into it! We saved so much money and time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Umm, Eddie is having a shotgun wedding this Saturday!? Oh geez. Well congrats to him :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. dude, meal planning is something i really REALLY struggle with. and trying to figure out what is for dinner everyday is seriously one of the most stressful parts of my day. i really should make a better effort at this! maybe someday... haha.

    ReplyDelete


Twitter Pinterest Email


Jesse is active duty Air Force and is originally from southern Minnesota. He has also managed to become a follower of just about every hobby known to man (which drives his wife crazy!).



Henry was born on July 4, 2007. His hobbies include playing with his squeaker toys, barking a little girls, dock jumping, going to the dog park, and being spoiled rotten by his grandparents.

Follow on Bloglovin

Search This Blog


 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved