Home       About Me       About Us       Recipes       Contact

Sunday, June 26, 2011

I Got Baptized!

I thought last night was going to be a normal Saturday night at church. But boy, did God have different plans for me! Pastor Dean greeted Hunter and I as we walked in church, I took Hunter to the nursery, and then my friend, Shyla and I found a place to sit.

The worship was moving. But it was Pastor Dean's message that spoke right to my heart. He talked about being baptized. That salvation was not dependent on it, but God does ask for us to do it. It's an outward sign of our commitment to serve Christ.

Let me back up... I was baptized as an infant in the Lutheran church. I have felt a desire to be baptized as an adult for a couple years now. I just have never done it. I never really pursued finding out when the next baptisms at church were and it always seemed like it would be hard to find a time when Jesse would be there as well. I even had a conversation with Jesse at one point asking him to get baptized with me, but he has already been baptized as a teenager and didn't have a need to do it again. Okay, I'll do it someday, just not now.

Okay, back to last night. Pastor Dean talked about Jesus people who still had not been baptized. He said that believing was the first assignment from God and baptism was the second. I took it as, I had not fulfilled my second assignment, which was preventing me from future assignments. My heart was on fire. I knew immediately that I was going to be baptized that night. He went on to talk about how he had seen people walk through the front door with their children that night with a heart for Jesus, but had not be baptized. Hey, that was me and Hunter!! Right?! How did he know I hadn't been baptized?!

In my head I was thinking, how can I get baptized tonight? Jesse isn't here. I am wearing white shorts! And then Pastor Dean said something to the affect of making excuses, such as not wearing the right clothing or family and friends not being there to witness the event. Straight to my heart. I already knew earlier in the service that I would get baptized, but now I knew without a doubt that God was pushing me, gently nudging me. It was time for me to obey.

Towards to end of the service, the Pastor asked people to bow their heads, close their eyes, and raise their hands if they wanted to give their life to God. I prayed for those people who were making that decision that night. And then he asked for those who were already Jesus people that hadn't been baptized to stand up. I felt a sense of boldness overcome me. There was no self consciousness or worry, I immediately stood up without hesitation. I raised my hands to the Lord and I gave him my whole self. With loving hands praying over me, I committed to not withhold any part of me from the Lord.

There was a baptism tank outside where people were directed to. That is where I was baptized and declared my love for Jesus. It could not of been more perfect. Not if it was planned, or Jesse was there, or I was wearing a swimsuit under my clothing. It was in God's time which was the perfect time.

5 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! Praise God! Thank you for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome story. Your obedience will be rewarded, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even count the number of times I felt God pulling at my heart during a meaningful worship service and I stayed in my seat. So glad you allowed God to consume you fully and you made the decision to answer his call! :) So happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete


Twitter Pinterest Email


Jesse is active duty Air Force and is originally from southern Minnesota. He has also managed to become a follower of just about every hobby known to man (which drives his wife crazy!).



Henry was born on July 4, 2007. His hobbies include playing with his squeaker toys, barking a little girls, dock jumping, going to the dog park, and being spoiled rotten by his grandparents.

Follow on Bloglovin

Search This Blog


 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved