Home       About Me       About Us       Recipes       Contact

Sunday, October 23, 2011

We Made it to NZ!

After 20 hours in travel, 20 time zones, three blowout diapers, four packages of fruit snacks, two layovers, and Hunter sleeping ten hours straight on our long flight... we have made it to Christchurch, NZ!

We left Seattle at 4pm on Thursday, only bringing a backpack, my purse, the carseat, and a car seat roller thing. We were fortunate that Jesse was able to take our luggage with him on his military flight. This made it soooo much easier when going through customs in Auckland.

The flight to San Francisco went pretty smoothly. The biggest pain was not knowing that the carseat was to wide to wheel through the aisle of the plane. So once on the plane, I had to take the car seat off the roller thing and try to juggle the car seat, my carry ons, and Hunter down the aisle. Once on the plane, Hunter and I chatted about airplanes a while lot, played with his toy cars and airplanes, and then watch part of The Lion King on my iPad.

We had a couple of hours to kill in San Francisco, so we sat down at a sushi restaurant. This is where the first blowout diaper occurred. I had to take him over to the restroom there and clean him all up while waiting for our food. We got a sushi roll and as I was trying to take a picture of him, Hunter reached over and grabbed the entire mound of wasabi and shoved it in his mouth. He had sheer terror in his eye once he tasted it. Luckily, I was able to scoop it out of his mouth right away and wipe off his tongue with the napkin. Poor buddy.

The flight from San Francisco to Auckland was 13 hours. I really lucked out because we got a three seat section to ourselves AND the flight left at 8:45pm and Hunter fell sound asleep within a half hour into the flight. He slept for ten hours straight! Praise God! We only had a couple hours left when he woke up. I got to change him and clean him up after the second glorious blow out diaper and then got him changed out of his pajamas.

A couple of the other passegers commented on how well he did and said he seemed like a seasoned traveler. :)

We only had an hour and half layover in Auckland and that went really quick because we had to go through customs. Hunter got another NZ stamp in his passport. The flight to Christchurch was only a little over an hour, so that felt like a breeze.

The tough part began when we landed in Christchurch. We got in at 8:30am and Jesse didn't land until 2:45pm! So we went over the the Antrarctic Museum for several hours. Hunter had a great time experiencing an Antarctic storm, seeing the little penguins at their feeding time, riding on the Hagglund vehicle, and even seeing Happy Feet in 4D.

He feel sound asleep in the carseat for the last couple hours before Jesse landed. He was a tired little guy!!


  1. Glad you arrived safely! Have a wonderful time!

  2. The Antarctic Centre is awesome! That Hagglund ride nearly gave me a heart attack though! :O


Jesse is active duty Air Force and is originally from southern Minnesota. He has also managed to become a follower of just about every hobby known to man (which drives his wife crazy!).

Henry was born on July 4, 2007. His hobbies include playing with his squeaker toys, barking a little girls, dock jumping, going to the dog park, and being spoiled rotten by his grandparents.

Search This Blog

Follow by Email

Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved