1. Swaddle blankets. I bought some Aden+Anais swaddle blankets for Hudson because they seemed to be all the rage right now. They have not disappointed me at all. They are really big, light weight, and super cute. They are kind of spendy (I got mine for a pretty good price on a deal of the day site) but they are worth it. I also really like the swaddle blankets that have the velcro on them for easy swaddling. I admit, I usually end up using the velcro ones because I'm not a swaddle master like Jesse is.
I know not all babies like to be swaddled, but both Hunter and Hudson have slept much better at night when swaddled. So it's not really optional for them in this house. ;)
2. Comfy sleepers. These are a must for little babies. I know that it's fun to dress them up, but it's really so much easier to keep them in soft sleepers for the first couple months. My favorites are from Carter's and Gymboree.
3. Swing. Both of our boys have LOVED the swing. It's the only place that they napped very well during the first few months. This is the current version of the one we have. We like that it cradles them a bit and also goes both side to side AND front to back. Ours does not plug in, it only runs on batteries, which stinks, but I hear that the newer ones plug into the wall.
4. Nap Nanny. We never needed this for Hunter, but has been a must with Hudson! About a month ago, the doctor told us that he was struggling with reflux and should be at a forty five degree angle as much as possible. Before getting this, he was waking up every hour or two throughout the night. The first night we got this, he slept over four hours straight and is now sleeping between four to six hour stretches through the night. It's been a lifesaver for me especially, I was one tired mama!
5. Carriers. This is a no brainer for me. I've used a Moby, a Baby Bjorn and an Ergo with the boys. The Ergo is by far my favorite one! I didn't get it until Hunter was almost a year old and it worked great with him in both the front and back positions. I purchased the infant insert so that I could use it with Hudson and he and I both love it. He falls sound asleep almost immediately after I put him in it.
I'm not thrilled with the color of ours (a bluish purple) but I use it anyways because Hudson loves it and it's really comfortable for me, too. It's one of the baby items that I really wish that I wouldn't of wasted money on the cheaper options first.
6. Burpy Bibs. I just found these a couple months ago and LOVE them! They are by far my favorite burp clothes because they are big, soft, and really absorbent. Oh yeah, and they match the swaddle blankets we have. ;) I haven't used them as a bib yet, but love that they have snaps on them to use them as that, as well.
7. Gripe Water. I had heard of this before Hudson but had never needed to use it with Hunter. From what I've gathered, it's just water with some fennel and ginger, but it really calms Hudson down. I think that it helps with his stomach issues, so we give it to him a couple times a day.
8. Diaper Bag. This is such a personal preference item. You have to go with what is most comfortable and suits your needs the best. We had the Diaper Dude with Hunter and I was pretty happy with it and it was nice that Jesse didn't mind carrying it around either.